Thursday, September 23, 2010

more on planting grass seed...

I got the front yard re-seeded this morning in the cool of the day...since we're having record breaking heat every afternoon. So much for the first day of fall!!


As I was putting this seed down I was wondering, "should I have dug up this existing grass, broken up this HARD ground??" and it reminded me of a scripture I have had framed in my home for years (thanks for the gift long ago from CB):


   "Sow for yourselves righteousness, reap the fruit of unfailing love, and break up your unplowed ground; for it is time to seek the LORD, until he comes and showers righteousness on you." Hosea 10:12


Oh goodness...I could hear the birds laughing at me...waiting for their breakfast of fine Kentucky Bluegrass seed that was sitting on the top of the soil, scattered among the creepy clover stuff that wouldn't die at Mark's hand using the weed killer. I hope that the scattering of straw that I put over the lawn will help protect it some from the birds, the heat, and the wind. 


As I spread out that straw, I realized how much seed was falling out of my bale....so if the grass seed doesn't survive, I feel certain that I'll have a GREAT crop of straw growing. : (  At least it will start off green!!


I'll meditate on the scripture from Hosea as I do my chores this morning in the house...or "house blessing" as a friend calls it. All along I'll pray for the "showers" to come raining down -righteousness in our lives - and my poor yard can use some cooler temps and lots of rain... and I'll keep seeking Him through the season...


grace and peace...
marina