Saturday, May 4, 2013

A Book Review... Freefall to Fly

Freefall to Fly - A breathtaking journey toward a life of meaning
by Rebekah Lyons 
Tyndale House Publishing, 2013


I don't know why it took me so long to read this book. I had wanted to from the first time I'd heard about it. I loved the idea of it, and thought that although it was a much younger mom writing it, I could draw deep from the well of her words. I knew it would build from a different direction than Holley Gerths' Your Already Amazing - and it did. And it built well. Where Holley's great book was more how-to, and clinical, this was approached as telling her life story, and it nearly read as a novel. It is a glimpse inside her life, from where she shares - not meant to be a diagnosis, a prescription - just sharing what God's shown her. What she's learned. It was quite good!

Rebekah Lyons has a great way with words. She gives you the facts, not just the facts, but in a oh, so, sitting across the table from you way. She is a story teller - sharing with words that come deep from within. I found myself nodding in agreement as I read, as if I were listening to her speak. It's so easy to hear her voice through her writing. So good. There were so many "tweetable" quotes in each chapter, and I'm sure I'll be using this book for materials as I speak to other women. 

Her story itself is quite amazing, and I thought of a dozen (or more) friends that I thought could relate to SOME part of her life. Her lessons. I thought over and over of a favorite phrase of mine, "You can learn from my mistakes, and it won't cost you anything," and I think that it would fit well in learning from her life, mistakes and victories all. 

I highly recommend this book to any woman of any age. Her circumstances are only the props of the deeper story she tells, of growing in God in new ways, recognizing He can be trusted with our lives. That He provides friendships for so much more than just being superficial in. Oh, how I will be praying for a group of women like she found, a community to do life with and discover His creation in!

I look forward to seeing what else she writes in the future. I'm definitely a fan. 

I wrote this review after receiving a complimentary copy of "Freefall to Fly" through Handlebar Hub, from Tyndale House Publishing . I received no monetary compensation for the writing of this review.