Friday, June 7, 2013

Five Minute Friday: FALL

Day lights decreasing and there's a certain smell in the air. I can walk out the door in the mornings light, and it transports me back 40 years to a first day of school...and EVERY first day of s hool since then...even putting my kids off to school...even when we homeschooled.

Funny thing is, it's not the school year that makes it this way, it's that season...FALL that is setting the circadian rhythm of my birth, and my season of sleep, reflection, and BAKING is kicking in.

Oh, I love the spring blooms, and the intense colors of summer blue skies and bright flowers, but FALL holds my heart. It's the time I was born, the time I lost my momma, and the time my true love bloomed - despite the falling leaves. I love the colors I didn't see in my Southern California upbringing...the deep reds, yellows, and every color in between that God changes ever so slightly as the temperatures drop. I love the briskness in the air, and the smell of a bonfire, or the first fire in the fireplace, even if my lungs do not love those things. I love bundling up, and remembering the FALLS of past; full of running to soccer games, football games, and fall festivals.


I remember my mom, and wonder what she thought of this season...if she chose it, or if it chose her?

A certain sadness comes along with FALL, and I never regret it...in some ways it's only fitting that winter follows...to grieve the passing of such a lovely season.

Oh, summer may have it's activities on the lawn, and spring may be playful and promising warmth to come. Winter may bring deep rest and a renewal of the earth...but give me fall to feast on, to cuddle with, to drink in colors and hold close in my melancholy heart...