Friday, August 30, 2013

Revisiting Marina's Kitchen Table Archives #6

I recently found the hard drive of all my first posts, writing in a Yahoo Group called Marina's Kitchen Table. It was the same thing as here, but perhaps a little more devotional in writing, as I leaned hard on God during a really difficult season in life. 

I'm sharing those first writings again, as we make another move, and I anticipate my time at the computer to be more focused on getting the work done on that handbook on Missionary Care. 

I hope that you enjoy these entries as much as I do. I have NO idea where this journey will go, as I was as irregular a writer then as I am now! :)  Some things never change! 

Be blessed!
Marina
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As a child I came to believe simple truths that would not fail me. Kisses heal. Hugs are nice. The sun is warm. Candy is good. As I grew, I didn't think much about these things. I just KNEW them. It was GREAT to be reminded of them daily, by experience (like getting a piece of candy, or laying in the warm sun...) but a general assumption was made, and I didn't often think about it.

In my walk with Jesus, there are other things that I know. The problem is, I've forgotten what a profound impact these things have on my life, both daily and eternal. Things like: 

  • "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth." Genesis1:1
  • "Cast your burden upon the Lord, and He will sustain you. He will never allow the righteous to be shaken." Psalms 55:22
  • "It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to believe in man." Psalms 118:8
  • "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights, with whom there is no variation, or shifting shadow." James 1:17

What would our lives be like without knowing these things? The only way we can be reminded is to spend time with our Creator. Praise. Pray. Read His word. As we continue to draw closer to Him, the more His truth will be etched in our hearts, our minds. It's like coming to our own mom or dad to get a daily hug, so we may be reminded of their love for us. Without that hug, we know that they love us. It is so much more real when it is shown to us, when it is put into action. PRAY. PRAISE. READ HIS WORD. ALLOW IT TO WORK IN OUR LIFE.