Friday, November 8, 2013

Five Minute Friday - Truth

This is Lisa-Jo Baker's show... Five Minute Friday. This is what the rules are, straight from her mouth...er.. fingers... 

"We write for five minutes flat. All on the same prompt that I post here at 1 minute past midnight EST ever Friday. And we connect on Twitter with the hashtag #FiveMinuteFriday

No extreme editing; no worrying about perfect grammar, font, or punctuation.
Unscripted. Unedited. Real."

So here's my five minutes on "Truth" - 

I don't think I understood what truth was as a child... it seemed I lied more than told it... was taught how to NOT tell the truth... or praised for challenging the truth (uh, yeah... I was a "Philadelphia Lawyer" as a kid). I was told to lie on the phone that my dad wasn't home yet, lie to anyone that suspected "anything" was happening, lie to anyone that challenged what "my version of real" was... they wouldn't value the truth I told.. why would I tell them more? 

So, when I came to Christ as a young adult - THE TRUTH THAT SET ME FREE - totally froze me in my footsteps. What? He was (IS) THE WAY, THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE... If I accepted Him into my heart, then He was IN me... that meant TRUTH had to reign in me too. Oh my. THIS was more than I bargained for.

But He won me over with His LOVE. And I became a crusader for truth. Especially at Christmas time. No lies = No Santa. 

So we broke all traditions acceptable to our local culture and didn't "do Santa" with the kids - we told the TRUTH about him... 

TIME

Oh well... that's all the time I have to write. If you're interested in hearing the rest of the story about our family not doing Santa, just let me know!! I'd be happy to share how it went over with our un-believing family members, our friends who didn't share our convictions, and how our kids are growing up to do (or not do?) Santa in their own families.