Saturday, October 1, 2016

Book Review: Kit Kat & Lucy

"During Mom's last week, we spent lots of time together, talking. I wrote in my journal then: "It's a sad time but a soft time." Once she told me, "I sleep so well at night. Then I wake up thinking of all the things I'm going to do, and I'm ready to jump up and do them." She seemed bewildered as she looked down at her cancer-ridden body. "And every morning I'm so surprised I can't."  - From Kit Kat & Lucy, by Lonnie Hull DuPont

This is just one of the many different moods expressed in this book. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it!

It had been a while since I've had cats underfoot, and I wasn't sure what I could expect about a cat lovers book, but it was just what I needed. The experience is so easy to relate to, and the author writes openly and honestly about everything from anxiety to vets. It was refreshing to read, and although I'm not ready to go out and get a cat, it reminded me of what they are like and the ways their personalities come forward.

I think that this book would make a perfect gift for anyone who loves animals, especially cats. It would also be a good book for someone who suffers from anxiety or depression, to let them experience what owning a cat (or a cat owning you!) might help with. It was easy to read, and there were times I laughed out loud at the antics of the felines.

I was a little disturbed by the few times that she repeats stories towards the end (to set up the next situation), but I found it easy to skim over them.

(I received an advance copy of this book from the publisher for my honest review.)
#kitkatandlucy
https://www.amazon.com/Kit-Kat-Lucy-Country-Changed/dp/0800727320