Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Meeting in the Meadow: "I AM," by Roy Lessin

"I AM"

God replied to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM. Say this to the people of Israel: I AM has sent me to you.” Exodus 3:14 NLT

Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, before Abraham was even born, I AM!” John 8:58 NLT


God used the burning bush to draw Moses aside, to hear God’s voice and to discover how God wanted to use him. What Moses heard was God’s plan, not Moses’ plan.  God does not come to us and ask, “What is it you would like to do with your life? Just let me know and I will back you all the way.” It is God’s plan that we must follow.

When Moses heard what God was calling him to do he immediately began to look at his resources instead of God’s. Moses’ focus was on what he couldn’t do instead of on what God could do. God did not say to him, “Come on Moses, you can do it. You can do anything if you just put your mind to it.” What God wanted Moses to understand was that God was the one who would fulfill Moses’ calling. It was okay for Moses to say, “I can’t” but he also needed to say “You can!”

Let the burning bush be a reminder to you of God’s call and plan. He is the one who has called you and will equip you. He is the one who sends you and goes before you. He is the one who is your wisdom, your authority, and your confidence. He is your great “I Am.”

As the “I Am” He is the God of the past, the God of the future, and the God of today. He never says, “What I once have been I can no longer be.” He never says, “What I will be in the future I cannot be today.” God is always in the “eternal now.” All that He was He always will be.

When God says “I Am” He is saying that He is all-in-all. He is your provider and He is your provision, whatever your need may be. In trouble, He is your peace; in lack, He is your sufficiency; in changing circumstances, He is your contentment; in difficulty, He is your joy; in weakness, He is your strength; in battle, He is your victory; in impossibilities, He is your miracle worker.

©2016 Roy Lessin, used with permission. Originally posted 10/2008. Photo by Marina Bromley. Any requests to re-print may be directed to MeadowRequests@gmail.com